Valparaiso University Career Center
January 7, 2016
The primary duties and responsibilities of this position are:
• Identify job skills sought by employers:
o Meet with employers, human resource managers, workforce organizations, etc.
• Expand our on-campus initiative to promote internship opportunities for Valpo students, especially in the College of Arts & Sciences:
o Meet with faculty and staff to explain the benefits of internships and employers’ related expectations. Notify faculty and staff of internship opportunities and work with them to encourage students to pursue internships.
o Promote internships to students and encourage them to participate in these opportunities.
o Use students as ambassadors to promote the value of internships to their peers.
• Develop internship opportunities for students.
• Connect students with employment opportunities.
• Connect students to potential employers through career fairs and internship placements in regional sites.
• Connect students to Valparaiso University alumni in Indiana for internships, mentoring and professional development discussions.
• Organize, promote and conduct Career Treks for Valpo students.
• Collect data and assess progress in relation to Career Center initiatives:
o Create mechanisms to track internship opportunities and employers.
o Track the number of students participating in internships in Indiana.
o Track financial elements of the Lilly grant as they pertain to the Career Center.
o Track and quantify our progress in meeting goals in the Lilly grant.
o Prepare and write initial reports for ultimate submission to the Lilly Foundation, per Lilly’s requirements.
• Assist the Director with developing additional employer relationships:
o Continue to implement our “employer development plan” to generate additional internship opportunities for students.
o Collaborate with the Alumni Relations Office, Advancement, the Institute for Leadership & Service and other on-campus offices to further engage alumni with the University.
o Host on-campus employer receptions (breakfast, lunch or early evening). Valpo would be represented by Career Center Staff, academic advisors, faculty and deans, and perhaps a select group of students.
o Co-sponsor on-and off-campus receptions, activities and events that engage alumni with the University and the Career Center.
• Coordinate all professional Career Fairs.
• Provide career advisement for students:
o Advise and counsel students on their career plans. o Assist individual students in exploring options and educating them on the search process for locating internships and jobs that match their career goals.
o Advise and counsel students on their internship and job searches.
• Prepare students for existing and future jobs and internships:
o Collaborate with the College of Arts & Sciences to promote the suite of professional skills courses.
o Provide workshops, seminars and presentations.
• Other duties as assigned. This is a full-time, 12-month grant-funded position, which reports to the Director of the Career Center.
Required qualifications: We are seeking a professional who can develop, maintain and expand relationships with employers, alumni, faculty and staff. We are seeking someone who cares about and understands students, who can help students individually and in groups with career decision-making and job-hunting skills, who can help students understand and market their education and experiences, and who is committed to the mission of Valparaiso University. Candidates must have an understanding of and support the mission and values of Lutheran higher education. A variety of backgrounds will be considered but preference will be given to candidates with a minimum of three years of work experience and a master’s degree in College Student Personnel, Higher Education Administration, Counseling or a related field. Additional desired qualifications include:
• Experience teaching or leading a career development course for college students.
• An understanding of and appreciation for the liberal arts.
• Outstanding organizational, interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) and an ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Creativity, detail orientation and dependability.
• Initiative, curiosity and analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Experience working with college students, faculty, staff and employers.
• Ability to travel within Indiana.
How To Apply:
Apply online at: https://valpo-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?version=1&company_id=16674