November 16, 2015
Career Advisor Internship and Career Services, Butler University Internship and Career Services is seeking a Career Advisor to play a major role in providing career advising and development opportunities for students and alumni. This position also coordinates the Indy Summer Experience program, supervises an Intern, and develops, implements, and evaluates career planning programs.
Responsibilities: Career Advisor
• Provide developmental career guidance to individual students and alumni by counseling on resumes, cover letters, and interviewing skills to aid in career exploration and job or internship preparation
• Assist students and alumni in exploring interests and personality preferences by administering assessments individually and in classroom and campus group meetings
• Create and give presentations on office resources and impact, resumes, cover letters, interviewing techniques, and Gap Year opportunities that are tailored to the audience’s specific career-related needs
• Market office services by updating website, writing promotions for campus newsletter, and utilizing social media
• Occasional evening work is expected. Indy Summer Experience Coordinator
• Coordinate summer program to introduce in and out-of-state students to the cultural and diverse offerings of Indianapolis, local employers, and Butler University alumni
• Identify appropriate venues and plan events each summer that engage students and professionals in a safe environment to encourage relationship building across colleges, disciplines, and industries
• Advertise program using multiple platforms, conduct information sessions, receive and evaluate applications, coordinate and convene selection committee, and provide orientation to 20 participants each year
• Manage program budget, negotiate venue fees, and secure sponsors for events and/or professional rewards
• Evaluate and assess program each year based on specific learning outcomes by surveying current and past participants
• Assume other duties as assigned by Director of Internship and Career Services
• A graduate degree or equivalent combination of education/experience in counseling, student affairs, or related field
• Three (3) years of experience in career counseling preferred along with project and/or event management skills
• Effective communication, networking, and interpersonal skills
• Strong leadership and effective public speaking skills
• Highly organized and self-directed
• Certification in career assessments including STRONG Interest Inventory, Myers Briggs Type Indicator, StrengthsQuest and others a plus
How To Apply:
1) Please submit Butler University's Employment Application form along with your resume and cover letter. The Butler University Employment Application form is available at: https://www.butler.edu/sites/default/files/employee_application_form.docx
2) Send the completed application, resume and cover letter outlining your qualifications for the position in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please label the PDF with your last name and the position title (i.e. Smith – Career Advisor). Review of applications will begin on December 3rd and will continue until the position is filled.
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of the student body and our faculty and staff. In addition hiring decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications, past experience, overall performance and other employment-related criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.